Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Eyes to the Front


Coming to Korea, I was quite excited by the idea that I would be able to use vacation time for its intended purpose: vacations. Flights between countries in Southeast Asia are rumored to be fairly cheap.  (I admit I haven’t looked into this too much yet.)

Where am I most excited to go? Thailand. Thailand has been trickling into my brain more and more over the past year.

I think I’ll watch Brokedown Palace. Drip drip.
The Beach with Leonardo DiCaprio? Sure. Drip drip drip.
Oh look, my friend just posted an album of her visit to Bangkok. Drip drip.
I’m hungry for some coconut curry. Drip drop drip.
Maybe I’ll watch some tsunami footage on YouTube. Drip. Bloop. Splash.


The rain barrel in my head is now full of crystal clear, cerulean water.

In addition to Thailand, I am also focused on a trip that Josh, Margaret, and I have our sights on for June of 2012: A yachting trip around the Mediterranean. (I’M ON A BOAT!) I know this sounds impossibly extravagant, but Josh has done some research, and it’s remarkably feasible. Pending full participation, renting a twelve-person yacht with a captain for eight days is only $5,000, or roughly $420 per person.

Chatting with Josh the other day about the future, I mentioned that I’m considering spending several weeks in Thailand once my contract is finished next March. Then Josh suggested something brilliant:

What might be cheaper than going home,” he said “would be finding an apartment in Thailand to live in until the yachting trip.

He’s so right. Why hadn’t I thought of this? Thailand is notoriously inexpensive. For the money I might spend just on airfare back to the states, I could easily live in Thailand for three months, with money left over to put towards the yachting trip! It makes so much sense. As of right now, this is my plan. In the meantime, I’ll try to focus on the adventure at hand – It’s not like I don’t have enough on my plate.

So if you’re looking to take an awesome vacation next year between March and June, Thailand might be a thought. Just sayin’…

2 comments:

  1. tsunami footage entices you to travel someplace?? i'm the exact opposite, but i'm still super pumped :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a brilliant plan. Brokedown Palace made me never want to do drugs in another country. Cockroach in ear.....gah...

    Also, when you're on said boat, you definitely need to play I'm On a Boat at least once a day. And you should probably buy a nautical themed pashmina afghan. :)And some flippy-floppies.

    ReplyDelete